Friday, September 23, 2005

Can-can, Canada!

Here I am... That`s a brief resume of these last days I lived in the far North... For three nights I`ve slept in a Joe`s friend wooden cabin in "Goldstream Valley", few miles north of Fairbanks. Great place!!! Then it was time to moving on, so I went to North Pole (!!!) for a short visit at Santa Claus House... After that I had to move toward the Canadian border so I`ve hitchiked on the way to Tok. It has been tough to get a ride there but finally I had a lift from Karma - the prettiest girl of Delta Junction - and later from a terrible driver, marijuana-smoker guy, who brought me to a youth hostel in the forest, south of Tok. There was just one problem: the hostel was completely messed up and closed, while it was getting really late and dark... So I`ve been smart enough to check the reception door; it was unlocked and inside that room (among an incredible mess) there was an heater turned on and current water... enough for me to overnight there!!! The day after I had to wait for a long time to hitch a ride, but I finally reached the junction to the "Top of the world highway" (the only way to go to Dawson City from Alaska). That highway is usually closed from mid of September, and now it will be closed from the 25. Even if some people told me to avoid it for, I decided to try to get a lift from there and I was really disappointed when I saw there wasn`t traffic at all, just one truck in a couple of hours... I started to think about quitting Dawson City for everywhere else, when I`ve been so lucky to meet Craig and Karen - a couple from Wyoming with the biggest and most beautiful motorhome I`ve ever seen - that offered me a lift directly to Dawson City, Canada, the capital of Yukon "Gold Rush", settled at the confluence of Yukon and Klondike rivers. Later in the evening, we went to see some Dawson City`s can-can dancers, while drinking loads of beer... Too funny! The town at night time was really beautiful: cold, dark, without tourists at all... It was for me like turning back to the last century!!! And then I slept in Craig & Karen`s motorhome: I`ve been very surprised about their hospitality, I`ve never experienced something like that before. Thanx!!! I don`t remember who wrote "People is the best show existing, and you don`t have to pay for the ticket to see it..." True. They also gave me a lift to Whitehorse, where I actually am, and which is the capital of Canadian Yukon Territories. When I arrived today, I`ve only had the time to enjoy a beautiful sun reflecting on the slow waters of the mythical and majestic Yukon river...

1 Comments:

At 17:18, Blogger Bartek Kunowski said...

Welcome to Canada!
Bienvenue a Canada!

(you'll soon notice we like to write things in two languages here)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home